Whenever I post my One Pan Picky Eater Mac & Cheese to Instagram all the fellow picky eater mamas go crazy LOL. My daughter thinks it’s your average Mac & Cheese, but it’s sneakily filled with healthy ingredients, which makes my mama heart happy. If your child is super picky, avoid the veggies to start, or start with cauliflower, as it blends well with most pastas, and nutritional yeast. When I first came up with this recipe we were only “allowed” to have speckles of green in the Mac & Cheese – pretty much broccoli dust! Now we’ve upgraded to small florets of broccoli, and we’re working our way up to the whole piece. I make this a few times a week because it’s one of the few things my eldest daughter will actually eat. It’s also my go-to “in a rush” recipe!
The team at Our Place recently sent me the Always Pan, and it has made my Mac & Cheese recipe that much easier. I can now steam, strain, boil, sauté and serve all in the same pan! It’s also non stick and non toxic, but the best part (for me!) is that it comes with a beechwood spatula and an integrated spoon rest. This means that the spatula never leaves the pan – even if the lid is on! – which in turn means less mess #momwin. It’s not recommended to place the Always Pan in the dishwasher but the nonstick makes it SO easy to clean compared to other pans we own. If you’d like to try the Always Pan, make sure you use code TOPKNOT10 to save 10% on your order.
Now without further ado, my famous One Pan Picky Eater Mac & Cheese recipe.
2 cups bone broth
0.5 – 1 cup of Broccoli and/or Cauliflower
1.5 cup green lentil pasta (I use this quinoa pasta as well, but any pasta works. I prefer ones high in protein)
1 tablespoon butter (I use Earth Balance Organic Whipped Spread)
1 cup nutritional yeast
Salt to taste
- Add 1 cup of water to the Always Pan, with the steamer basket inserted, and bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli florets, reduce heat to low, cover and let steam for for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from pan, set aside, and discard the water. Do not remove the Always Pan steamer basket.
- Next, fill the pan with bone broth, bring to a boil, and add pasta.
- Boil for 8-12 minutes, reduce heat to low, remove steamer basket, and pour pasta into the pan. Leave any excess bone broth in the pan.
- Add broccoli florets – cut off the stems before adding to the pan if your child is very picky.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of butter – add more or less depending on the consistency you prefer.
- Add about 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and mix everything together.
It’s as simple as that! Let me know below if you try the recipe, and what your kids think of this “Mac & Cheese”. I’m so curious to see if it wins them over like it did my daughter.
This post in sponsored by Our Place, however all opinions are my own.